1031 Vermont Street
- Lawrence - Kansas - 66044
Märklin 2012 Toy Fair Locomotive:
Price does not include shipping from ToToTrains to
you. Applicable taxes apply.
This is the 2012 Toy Fair Locomotive. Availability
Märklin H0: 39023 Steam Locomotive With Tender.
Prototype: German State Railroad Company (DRG) class 18.3 steam locomotive,
4-6-2 wheel arrangement. Built starting in 1918 as the class IVh for
the Grand Ducal Baden State Railways. Use: Premium passenger service.
One time series.
Baden IV h - The Complicated Beauty. In 1915, the Grand Ducal Baden State Railways order 20 locomotives with a 4-6-2 wheel arrangement (Pacific) from Maffei in Munich in order to operate the Rhine Valley line more efficiently. This locomotive type was designated as the IV h and was planned mainly for use between Mannheim and Basle. This model is a very limited model, offered at the 2012 Toy Fair in Germany to ajckids.com. The design was therefore laid out purely as an express locomotive for flat terrain. The driving wheel diameter of 2,100 mm / 82-11/16" was exceeded only by road no. 18 201 of the German State Railroad Company for a locomotive of its wheel arrangement. The maximum speed was set at 110 km/h / 69 mph however due to the brake technology of the time. Due to the events of World War I, this locomotive was built in 3 series from 1918 to 1920. When the last class IV h locomotives were delivered by the builder in 1920, the Baden State Railways were already incorporated into the German State Railroad, which took all 20 locomotives into its roster as the class 18.3.
These units were stationed at the maintenance facility in Offenburg
and were the flagship express locomotive on the Rhine Valley line. They
could often be seen pulling the German State Railroad's new luxury train,
the Rheingold. Maffei designed four-cylinder compound running gear for
the IV h, whose inner cylinders were positioned far to the front and
gave the locomotive its unmistakable look. Although the boiler for the
class IV h was the largest of its time in Germany, its reserves were
not all that great, and the water volume was relatively small. The super
heater surface was also small in dimension such that the steam could
only reach a temperature of 330° Celsius / 626° Fahrenheit.
These facts made the water and coal consumption rather high and were
considerably greater than that of the later German State Railroad Company
standard design locomotives. The tender also contributed to the characteristic
look of the locomotive. It was unusually short with a truck and with
two axles mounted close to one another in the frame of the tender. During
its service life, the Baden IV h was not very popular with either the
locomotive crews or the railroad's managers because of its complicated
technology, and it was replaced relatively quickly by the new standard
design 01. It was transferred in groups to North Germany until all 20
locomotives were stationed in Bremen in 1942. They were used primarily
in the area of the North German flatlands, an area they were best suited
for, and where the new locomotive crews could better get use to the
complicated system of compound high and low pressure cylinders. The
maximum speed for these locomotives was increased to 140 km/h / 88 mph
after the installation of stronger brakes, and the performance of the
class 18.3 left many newer express locomotives in the dust. Except for
one unit, all of the class 18.3 locomotives survived World War II. The
new German Federal Railroad had no use for them and they were retired.
With the reconstruction of the infrastructure and the normalization
of the rail service, the need for fast experimental locomotives grew,
and the German Federal Railroad was forced to overhaul three of the
stored class 18.3 locomotives. These locomotives were modified accordingly
and gave many years of valuable service for the Locomotive Experimental
Bureau in Minden. Road no. 18 316 reached the speed of 162 km/h / 101
mph during a test run in Austria on the line from Kufstein to Wörgl
and became the fastest provincial railroad locomotive. The last two
locomotives were stored in 1969 and these beautiful units remain preserved
as monuments for the provincial railroad era.